Sunday, September 13, 2015

TIME vs. READING HABITS

            According to some statistics, 76% of American adults ages 18 and older have read at least one book in the past year (PewResearchCenter, 2013). I remember that in my home in Colombia my mom has a library; however, once when I was in high school she said that she would have preferred an electronic book when she was in school. Her reason was that it was easier to carry an electronic device than a physical book because the device weighs less. Reading habits have been affected home environment, educational practicing, and technological advances.
   
My sister is reading at home.
        Everything begins at home. When you are a kid, the first values are always inculcated at home. Your parents are responsible for teaching you to be a good person. Usually, children are a copy of what they see at home. When you are a kid, the only thing that you think about is just play and play. This is the reason that most parents prefer to give toys or video games than a book. However, parents could create a habit of reading in which the children choose a story based on the colors and animations which leads to the habit of reading for pleasure. Nowadays, parents are more involved in their child’s education and reading is a priority.  

Reading at school - Public Domain
Many of the students changed reading for pleasure to reading for obligation. It is likely that students read 3-5 books annually in schools. However, they read to get a score or to answer a few questions on a test, but do not really read because they want to. When the reading is for pleasure, you feel adrenaline when you let yourself get wrapped up in the fantasy world. You feel emotions when you find similarities to the one of the characters in the story. If students could choose to read for pleasure, more genuine education would occur.

Ebook - Shared with a Creative Commons License
We are a generation of constant change. Some people read a book in print, read an e-book, or use an audio book. This clearly shows how over the years reading habits have changed. An e-book is an electronic version of a printed book. However; computers, tablets, iPads, and smartphones can be used to read as well. Some people find it easier to hand carry an electronic device than a book. Basically, an audio book is a recording of a printed book usually in MP3 format. An advantage of reading is that it helps you improve your spelling; but, with an audio book you could not see the text.

Reading habits begin at home, becomes strengthened in schools, and becomes more accessible with technology. Parents’ involvement promotes reading, and leads to reading for pleasure. So, it is time for schools to help parents with this responsibility. Finally, the technological advances make reading easier in different formats.

12 comments:

  1. Yenifer, I love that you have chosen to make a strong case here for the value of reading and the factors that can influence the development of a reading habit that will last a lifetime. I can see that your mother probably helped develop this passion in you through your exposure to her reading when you were young. I really empathize with the issue you highlight about some students losing their love of reading when they find themselves in a position of only reading for obligation. This is why I try to let my EAP 0080 students choose their own novels to read that are interesting to them. Still, it is impossible to avoid having some (maybe even many) required reading assignments when one is in school. My hope for many of my students is that they will find their way back to a reading-for-pure-pleasure mindset during vacations and once they have graduated. And then, like your mother did with you, I hope they will pass down this love of reading to their own children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yenifer, your post is very good, and interesting. I think that in the actuality the reading is less than before however, a lot of people now prefer the reading that movies or tv shows, because when a person reads a book can imagine the history better than a director... congratulations Yenifer, it's an excellent post
    Greetings from Colombia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is this poster someone in our EAP class? If so, please identify yourself so I can give you credit. If not, welcome to our blogs. We're glad you're joining us!

      Delete
  3. Hi, Yenifer. I agree that reading is a habit. My kids' school force them to read books 20 pages or 20 minutes every day. That is a great way to make a good reading habit. Thank you for sharing your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Yenifer I agree with you, reading is one of the important habits that people should learn when they are kids. As parents we most work on that, as a result our children will become more educated and intelligent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Yenifer, I love your blog. I think that read is very important for all people. I am trying to get my daughters love and enjoy to reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Yenifer,
    I really love your post. Reading habits not only help to readers improve their skills but also perceive about knowledge in the world. Thanks your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do not really read books because not all books interest me however, the ones i read makes me so focused and attached to it. Reading can be really helpful and can sometimes answer many of your questions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree with you, Yenifer. I myself will read more and try to shape it in a good habit. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i dont like to read, but i need to read for my life. thanks for sharing this topic

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohhhh my gato!!! Your argument really explain why i read books. I will start reading for obligation but in the end i get caught in the story. I need to figure out how to mold my reading habits. Nice Reading blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi I agree with your essay and Im a porson who likes to read
    Your essay was amazing and very informative

    ReplyDelete