Tuesday, November 03, 2015

Effects of lack of reading in children

Bathroom reading.
Shared by thejbird
Once when I was reading my cousin came over and said: “Reading and studying is the same for me. Since I can remember, books have always been to study.” Also, my cousin tell me that she does not need to sit and read a book of 500 pages or more when there are movies. Apparently, good books only survive in the memory of those who still believe that reading is a worthwhile hobby. One of the problems is that children do not spend enough time reading books; this situation is the most common in new generations. The lack of reading causes less vocabulary, insufficient analytical thinking and decreased memory.

He is reading. - Public Domain
 One of the consequences of do not have reading habit is less vocabulary. It is not a secret that reading increases your vocabulary. While children read more, they will be exposed to earn more words. They are like sponges absorbing everything around them. Therefore, it is the best moment for them to increase their vocabulary. Researchers estimate that 5-15% of all the words are learning from reading (Nagy, Herman, and Anderson, 1985). And indeed, children who read more tend to have richer vocabularies (Stahl, 1998)  It is recommendable that parents make a reading routine with their children they will expand their vocabulary.

Reading with his mom.
Shared by Regal+Lager
            Secondly, lack of reading causes a deficit in analytical thinking. When people read they are able to put analytical thinking to work according to all details and creating a different ending, even before they had finished reading the book. Also, they are competent to criticize the plot of the book with another person (Lifehack). In order to improve their analytical thinking, people use facts to support their opinion about any topic in discussion. People who read are more likely to have more information. So, when children read more they will grow up with more ideas in their head that give them the opportunity to support their point of view.

He is reading. - Public Domain
            Another consequence of lack of reading is decreased memory. Reading a book, it implies for people having to remember a variety of characters (their names, origins, ambitions, or history) and also the plot of the history that do. The brain is the best we have because they can easily remember (Lifehack). Maryanne Wolf and Catherine J. Stoodley in their book Proust and the Squid: The Story and Science of the Reading Brain explain that when reading, people have time to think about what they read. Reading gives them the opportunity for comprehension. This increased activity keeps their memory in a constant brain activity (WorldCat). Today, the insufficiency of reading in children will cause a memory loss when they become in adults.

She is reading.
Shared by Chris Parfitt
            There are solutions to the fact that lack of reading habits affect vocabulary, analytical ability, and memory improvement in children. Parents should inculcate reading habits in their children. In addition, for schools there are options of digital platforms with multimedia projects to make reading as interactive activity. It is necessary to find a way to reach new generations with different alternatives that lead them to reading. The important key is to combine technology and books in order to create reading as an eye-catching activity for children.



References:
Nagy, W. E., Herman, P., and Anderson, R. (1987). Learning word meanings from context during normal reading. American Educational Research Journal, 24, 237–270.

9 comments:

  1. Yenifer, I really like the hook you start with here because I've seen so many students through the years who are just like your cousin--they see reading as a required task rather than as a deep form of pleasure. I think you are right that there are some serious consequences to ourselves as individuals and to all of us an an educated society if we fail to raise a new generation of readers. I like your solutions of adopting an approach the integrates both traditional (paper-based) and electronic forms of reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow thank you Jennifer I will encourage my children to read more because it is evident all the benefits of this habit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right, Yennifer. Reading books have many advantages. The problem is that devices and video games took that advantages easily away from my kids. I need to figure out a good method that help my kids to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yenifer wonderful article, I am thinking now if maybe sometimes I feel problem with my memory is because I do not have the habit of reading.Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. this essay is telling my problems . i accept that solutions!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your topic is nice Yenifer. I agree with problems in your essay. Children often love playing games more than reading. That is a problem foe my kids, too. I alway try to teach them the best way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gato! This so true. My little brother does not like to read and everytime i have to read he tells me. "Why are you reading? When we have technology to do it for us". Yeah i am a little worried about him

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our new generations are different to us because we grew reading on paper book bu our new generatios are only reading online

    ReplyDelete
  9. From now on you will be my favorite writer. I'm going to combine technology and books with my nephews

    ReplyDelete